I have to admit I’m a fan of Alton Brown. Something about Good Eats has always appealed to me. Watching him take things back to the basics is always interesting. Now some of the stuff he does is way too complicated. The hubby loves coconut, but I’m not about to go to the trouble of making a coconut cake the old-fashioned original way Alton did. But for some things it is just so easy to do it the old fashioned way that buying something pre-made is just plain stupid. And so it was that I set out to make Chocolate Syrup.
You heard that right. Chocolate syrup. No offense to the Hershey Company. I got some Freedom Super Foods Pure Raw Cacao Powder and I said now is the time to finally make my own chocolate syrup. I’m not going to bore you with the recipe. Do a google search for “alton brown chocolate syrup” and you will find it. I’m going to tell you how I changed it and how it turned out. Now I will admit I am not Martha Stewart. I had no idea what the difference was between Raw cacao powder and Dutch cocoa powder. Apparently Dutch cocoa powder uses some sort of chemicals. Uggh. So I used the raw cacao powder not knowing the difference and quite frankly, I’m not complaining. After it cooled off a little bit I tasted it and I’ll admit, I wasn’t a huge fan. By itself it reminded me a little bit of dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips. However once it cooled a little more it turned almost into a hot fudgy consistency. I looked at the hubby and said break out the ice cream. One word. YUM!!
ABOUT Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- Unsweetened and Cold Pressed
- High Quality Certified Organic Non-Fermented Beans
- A Healthy and Natural Replacement for Cocoa Powder in Hot Chocolates, Smoothies and Baking
- An Antioxidant Rich Superfood, Packed with Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Copper & other Nutrients that can Help Keep you Healthy, Happy, Energized & Relaxed.
- 1lb/16oz Pouch
Organic Raw Cacao Powder:
- Tastes great and blends well. One tablespoon will bring a delicious dark chocolate flavor. It smells like chocolatey heaven!
- Perfect for raw or baked treats! Enjoy the smooth rich dark texture in every recipe.
- Highly alkalizing due to being rich in nutrients, minerals & flavonoids. This can result in excellent sleep and energy. If you are lucky, it may even curb your appetite!
- Sourced from small sustainably run family owned farms in the most secluded, untouched, ancient rainforest in remote parts of the Dominican Republic. The result is the purest of raw organic cacao powder. The powder is then processed in a FDA approved facility free of the 8 major allergens including GLUTEN.
- Delivered in a heavy-duty, re-sealable stand-up pouch. This makes it easy to store and doesn’t take up much space. Also helps your cacao stay fresh.
PURCHASE ORGANIC RAW CACAO POWDER
Disclosure: I received complimentary product in exchange for an unbiased review. Regardless, all opinions expressed are still 100% my own.