Once upon a time, we could get pizza delivered to our house. All the major chains. And all the little local pizzerias. And UberEats. And DoorDash. And Grubhub.
Then we moved to the country.
The nearest town in 10 minutes away, and they have one pizza joint. And they don’t deliver out here anymore. It’s kind of like where I grew up. I didn’t even know pizza delivery was a thing that people could do. So, I grew up making my own pizza. But it was from a box mix. Don’t judge me, I was a kid. Then I grew up. And found pizza delivery. And I stopped making pizza. And then I discovered that most of the pizza I could get delivered, just wasn’t that good. Or the good pizza was super expensive.
And I was sad.
But it was easier than cooking and I was a lazy college student and, well, life. So, I stuck with it for a long time. And then, life. And here we are in the country and I had to rediscover my ability to make pizza. Good pizza. From scratch, not a box. And cheaper. So here is my pizza dough recipe. Enough to make 2 pizzas. Why? Because we like pizza.
Did you enjoy our recipe?
Yields 2 pizza crusts
- 2 cups warm water (not hot)
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 4 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 5 cups bread flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and lightly grease a pizza pan.
- Place warm water in a bowl; add yeast and sugar. Mix and let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour, oil, and salt to the yeast mixture; beat until smooth. You can do this by hand or use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to make it easier.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Separate dough into two halves.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer to the prepared pizza pan.
- Poke lightly all over with a fork.
- Place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Bring crust out of oven and let cool for 1 minute.
- Spread crust with sauce and toppings of your choice.
- Place back in the oven and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.