I have a small house in a relatively safe neighborhood. I don’t like either (the house or the neighborhood), but that’s beside the point. Actually, it’s not beside the point. And I’m going to tell you why.
First I’ll talk about the house. I don’t hate it because it’s small, I hate it because the layout is not conducive to anything I want to do. I like to try to cook, but the kitchen layout is barely functional. It has no real storage (the kitchen and the house) and it just doesn’t work for us. It seemed okay when we were just starting out, but over time we’ve come to realize the deficiencies, which I don’t think we can remodel away. I’ll spare you the details of why I hate our back yard.
Second, the neighborhood. It’s “safe’ish” I guess, but no one is terribly friendly. And while it’s mostly safe, we’ve still had our incidents over the years. One particular one some years ago involved every welcome mat in the neighborhood and our roof. That was fun.
Now what do these two things have to do with each other? Or anything? Let me enlighten you.
Among the many annoying things about my house, is the fact that I have dead spots in my Wi-Fi. How that’s even possible I can’t even begin to tell you, but it’s true. If I go into my bedroom, my Wi-Fi signal goes in and out. So you can see my issue if I actually ever convince the hubby to move to a bigger house. If my Wi-Fi signal doesn’t cover the whole house now, what happens if I move? The answer to this is the Netgear Nighthawk DST Router. DST stands for Dead Spot Terminator. This is not some robot here from the future to kill me however, it is a device that you plug in to a wall outlet and it removes the dead spot. It does this by using your home’s electrical wires as a network. So instead of the only wireless antenna being where your router is, now I have two. No more dead spot in the bedroom. It also is optimized for the large number of connected devices we have at home these. So no more dead spots and no more lagging when I am trying to do something and my wonderful daughter is watching YouTube again.
Now let’s talk about the other aspect. Our neighborhood. We have a security system. No, I’m not paranoid. We’ve had incidents here and there over the 10 years we’ve lived here. None serious, but still disconcerting. The problem with a security system is that it covers the inside of the house. But that’s it. If someone happens to break in through the front door we’re covered. That’s where the only camera that comes with the security system is. And it only captures a couple pictures. It sounded better when the guy was giving us the pitch. But again, that didn’t help much with the infamous door mat incident. Nor any number of weird, though not dangerous, incidents. Now I have an answer to some of my fears (whether they are rational or not is not the discussion point here people). The Arlo by Netgear 4 camera set has me covered. These cameras are seriously cool. Completely wireless, motion-activated, weatherproof, day and night, high-definition cameras. And here’s the really cool thing. They come with 6 magnetic mounts. So you can put up 6 magnetic mounts on the walls and move cameras as you need them. It also comes with a permanent mount. Ok, so maybe the magnetic mounts aren’t the really cool thing, maybe that is the smartphone app that lets you watch your cameras. Or maybe the really cool thing is the online cloud storage. Or maybe the really cool thing is that if those kids ever decide to decorate our house with welcome mats again, I will have some super-clear high definition video to show Mr. Policeman.
Yeah, you totally want to become better acquainted with Arlo too, don’t you? It’s time to head to Best Buy!
About Arlo by Netgear
The 4 camera set is an “ONLY AT BEST BUY” product. Customers can buy Arlo cameras at other retailers, but can only purchase this exclusive set – a great value at $499.99, at Best Buy. This product enables you to safeguard your home or business with the 4 motion-activated Netgear Arlo Smart Home security cameras
- Downloadable apps enable you to view live video from your compatible Android, Apple® iOS, Amazon Kindle, Windows or Mac device
- Completely wire free, for use inside and outside – weatherproof for temperatures ranging from 14° to 122°
- Enables you to capture 720p video footage both during the day and at night , with a 130° field of view
- Motion-activated design automatically records motion once detected, sending e-mail or app notifications
- Comes with 6 magnetic camera mounts and 9 mounting screws, for easy installation on a wall or flat surface
- Works with other Netgear products
About Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter with Geek Squad included – new and exclusively at Best Buy
This is a brand new router that was exclusively developed between Netgear, an industry leader in the networking world, and Best Buy, to help provide consumers with an easy, all-in-one solution to support their home’s connected devices. As the number of Wi-Fi dependent products increase in a home – the average US household has 7 “connected devices” – from smart phones (often several in a home), to tablets, to laptops, to computers, and Wi-Fi printers, this puts a strain on the home’s network, especially the router. With the interest in online gaming and 4k TVs, connected devices such as smart thermostats, plus the need to stream shows from Netflix or hulu, it places even more demands on the network. Many households may experience slow Wi-Fi, dropped calls, or experience “dead zones” – which could be improved upon with an “AC” router, Wi-Fi extenders and expert help.
- The AC1900 comes with one DST, or “Dead Spot Terminator,” adapter – to eliminate your Wi-Fi dead zones; place it in an area where you get little/no reception, to improve Wi-Fi access. Additional adapters can be purchased for other dead zones.
- This high-performance router was built to support 10+ connected devices – you can also prioritize devices for streaming videos or music, and included advanced features for lag-free gaming
- See additional fact sheets for both the Router and DST adapter
- Best Buy makes it easy with this new high performance Wi-Fi router, which includes a Wi-Fi extender and Geek Squad Set Up and Support via phone & web, for one full year.
- The Geek Squad service via phone & web allows customers to call or get help 24/7 whenever they want, vs. the need to schedule an appointment.
Disclaimer: The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.