If you have recently started blogging it’s likely you’re interested in becoming a better blogger. Blogging is hard work, a learning process, and becoming a better blogger doesn’t happen over night. However there are a few things you can do that will help you learn and grow into a better blogger.
I can personally tell you that blogging is more complex that one would expect. There’s so much to learn, if you enjoy always learning, growing, than hang on tight if you want it bad enough you will become a successful blogger.
Here’s 20 steps to becoming a better blogger…..
- Use WordPress! If you’re currently using blogger, think about switching over to WordPress. If you’re not already a WordPress user it’s likely as you grow into a better blogger you’ll want to change. Its easier, and safer the sooner you decide to make that move.
- Theme… Theme… Theme…. Yes, I believe a theme can make or break a blog. If your blog looks like you don’t know what you’re doing, than your readers and advertisers will assume the same thing. Take some time, find a nice theme, pay someone, or simply de-clutter. There’s lots of free blog theme’s available. It’s important to make your blog more attractive to advertisers and your readers.
- Sign up for FeedBurner. This is a must have for any blogger. If you don’t have it, sign up it only take a few minutes and holds so much value.
- SEO, if you don’t know much about it….. Learn it! Pull up your new best friend Google, and start reading. There’s some great posts out there to help you Optimize your blog for search engines. Make SEO interesting, there’s a lot that goes along with it. If you enjoy learning, SEO will be fun.
- Have a nice About Me Page. This doesn’t have to be long and drawn out. Short, Sweet, and to the point is good. You want your about me to say who you are, what your blog is about, and what experience you bring to the blogging world. It’s okay if you don’t have a lot, things will change and you can add as you grow.
- Allow your readers the chance to get to know you. You don’t have to spit out your children’s date of birth, but that’s what so different about blogs. You’re readers know you. Something I have I have realized is that when I am sad and write a post about it, my readers respond with compassion. If I post because I need support because of a crazy contest I am in, they offer support. It’s an amazing feeling the day you realize how supportive your readers are. It makes all the work worth it.
- Know your fellow bloggers, it’s likely they will become some of your best readers. Not only will they read your blog, but they will offer support and help along the way.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Really, bloggers are some of the most helpful people I have ever meet. Nine times out of ten if you ask a blogger for help, they will gladly stop what they are doing to lend a hand.
- Make a button, or have someone make a blog button for you. Your button is a great way for blogger to show supports.
- Grab some buttons and show some support.
- Use StumbleUpon.
- Visit, comment, and share. If you want people to visit your blog, leave comments, and share your social media posts. You’ll need to be sure and return the favor.
- Research your WordPress plugins. There’s some great plugins out there that will help you with SEO, social media sharing, and just about anything else you need.
- Add photos to your blog posts. Think about it, when you see a post without any photos, there’s nothing that really grabs your attention. Unless there’s a crazy title that makes you need to read it.
- Guest posts are great, write one accept one.
- Ask your readers for suggestions on improvement. They would be the best resource. It also helps get them engaged in your post.
- Monetize your blog. There’s plenty of ways for you to monetize your blog using, affiliate programs, sponsored posts, ads, sponsorships, etc. Don’t be afraid to earn money blogging. It’s hard work, most people understand that and want to help you make money.
- Be yourself. It can often be tempting to play a part, but don’t. You’ll gain a stronger following if you are who you are, write how you talk, and be truthful to your readers.
- Write like you mean it. Passion comes out in your posts.
- Update your blog regularly. Some bloggers post daily, while other post weekly. Whatever you decide to do, be sure and follow through with your commitment. In my eyes the more you update your blog the better.
- Have fun with it, don’t be too serious. Remember there’s nothing wrong with showing you love what you do. You’ll be surprised, when you write from the heart it shoes. If you’re blogging for all the right reasons, you’re readers will see it!
There’s a few of my tips to help you become a better blogger. Remember it doesn’t happen over night, it’s hard work. It will pay off, hard work always pays off in the end. Work hard, learn, and ask questions. Becoming a better blogger will also increase your blogs readership.
What are some activities you done to help become a better blogger? Please share them in the comments below, we are all full of great ideas.